Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Switching to English and 2010 Mangfei Sheng Pu-ehr

Ok. I will be switching this blog to English. This is the second post only, so if I'm switching, I'd better do it now. The reason I'm switching to English is because if I decide to continue writing and if people start reading it, more people will be able too. Also there aren't many tea people in the Netherlands. Or at least not many that I know of. But if there are I'd like to get know some.

Anyhow, Let's talk tea. I'm really new to the whole pu-ehr thing, but through trying some and reading a lot about them, my curiosity was awakened. The reading mostly consisted of reading MarshlN's blog. I started from the beginning of the blog. He started in 2006 and it's really interesting to follow his journey in exploring the world of pu-ehr. He's in a position that I am definitely not in and probably will never be in. As he speaks Chinese and is around China allot, he can learn things in a way I can't, obviously. But by reading his blog from the start I can get to know pu-ehr. Now all I have to do is start drinking more pu-ehr to try to get some practical experience. Of course, from reading his posts I get rather thirsty.

Speaking of which, I'm drinking a Mangfei Sheng pu-ehr from Tea-adventure. I like it. At least more than the tuocha from them. That was the first raw pu-ehr I've ever had and man was it bitter. I think it was the most bitter tea I've ever drunk. The leaves were very broken and I overfilled the gaiwan. So that was part of the problem of it being bitter. This Mangfei cake though is much better. It's from the same year: 2010. Which is, from what I read, quite young. This means that there is much of the original bitterness left. And yes, it was bitter. but to a degree that I found enjoyable. 

The dry leaves smelled quite floral, but there is some earthiness coming through. It doesn't have any of the weird fishiness or plain dirt aroma that shou or raw pu-erh sometimes have. The first infusion was also quite floral, with some nice spiciness. And a firm bitterness. Not very astringent though. The infusion after that were getting less floral but there was this interesting minty, cooling effect. It also tasted similar to the last infusion of Chinese green tea. This I didn't like so much, but all the others flavors and the mouth feel, was pretty nice. Very different from what I'm used too. Also something surprising was the feeling of being really focused and getting rather sweaty. There was a nice warming sensation. This was most strong with the first 5 infusions. 

After about 8 infusions it was time for dinner. After which I returned to drinking this tea. I'm now reaching around 15 infusions and it seems that the tea isn't giving up yet. The funny thing is, that the bitterness is giving way to sweetness. It's not the sweetness of candy. I can't describe it very well. maybe a little malty sweetness. There isn't much flavor left. there is mostly sweet liquid. Funny stuff.

Tea: 2010 Mangfei Sheng pu-ehr from Tea-adventure.Pot and amount: 100 ml gaiwan with 1.5 Chinese tea scoop (circa 6 grams)
Temperature and times: 100° C, Quick wash, 5/5/5/10/10/20/30 sec. After this I can't remember how long the water was in there. I think I got to 15 infusions. 
Surroundings: low tea table at home from mid day through the evening.
Music: Tom Waits - Orphans: Brawlers, Bawlers and Bastards

No comments:

Post a Comment